Call transcription transforms the audio of your calls into speaker-organized scripts. This can be a great tool for reviewing calls quickly, spot-checking performance and identifying trends. The cost of the transcription varies from plan to plan and is billed on a per minute rate.
Transcriptions are available for both inbound and outbound calls and are only compatible when the call recording is turned on. To learn more about call recording, see the full article here.
With transcriptions enabled, you can use the following features:
- Speaker-aware text transcriptions will become available for transcribed calls in the call log, with text broken into sections based on who was speaking. Click on sections of text in the transcription to jump to that part of the call audio.
- Include transcriptions in notification emails to get a quick overview of a call or receive transcribed voicemail via email.
- Search the call log using words from transcriptions. If you remember a past conversation but can’t remember the name of the person you spoke to, try searching in the call log for something you talked about.
- Keyword Spotting lets you identify words to look for and take action when those words are found in your transcribed calls.
Transcriptions are enabled in call settings. By default, each account has one call settings configuration (“Account Level”) that all tracking numbers are assigned to. If you have only one configuration, these changes will apply to all tracking numbers on your account. You can create additional settings configurations to have different options enabled for different tracking numbers.
- Navigate to Numbers → Call Settings and click edit next to the call settings configuration where you’d like to enable transcriptions.
- Call recordings must be enabled for transcriptions to work. Click here to learn how to enable call recording in your account.
- Click or scroll down to the Transcription section.
- Click the “Transcribe calls” toggle to enable basic transcriptions.
- If you wish to enable the enhanced transcription service, click the “Enhanced Transcription” toggle.
- Enhanced transcriptions offer improved transcribing via natural language processing.
- The security features for PCI, SSN, and PII detection and redaction are not available if enhanced transcriptions are on. If you wish to use these features, do not enable enhanced transcriptions.
- Use the “maximum transcriptions length” field if you wish to truncate transcriptions at a specific point in the call (for example, if you only wish to transcribe the first minute of the call). If you do not want to limit transcriptions, set this field to 0.
- The minimum transcription length is 10 seconds.
- Transcription usage is always rounded up to the nearest minute for billing purposes.
- Truncation is not available if you are using the security features for PCI, SSN, and PII detection and redaction.
- Review the “Speech to Text Language” field to ensure the correct language is selected for your transcriptions. By default, this is set to “English US.”
- If you wish to send transcriptions with email notifications, click the toggle labeled “delay notification until transcription is ready.” Notifications will be delayed until the transcription of the call has processed. If this options is off, notifications may be emailed before the transcription is attached.
- Click Save Changes.
Transcription Security Features
Secure call transcriptions allow the system to detect when credit card information, social security information, or phone numbers are spoken during a call, tag the call appropriately, and redact that information from your call transcriptions and associated call recording.
For more information on secure transcriptions, see the full article here.
Transcriptions are available in the call log. When your transcription is processed, a page icon will appear in the Contact column, which you can click to bring up the completed transcription. You can also click edit on the left side of the call to open the detail panel, then click the Voice Analysis tab.
The transcriptions will be segmented by speaker. You will see timestamps below each section of speech, which will take you directly to that section of the call audio when clicked.
Enabling transcriptions also enables keyword spotting, which is included in the cost of transcriptions. Keyword spotting allows you to set up automatic actions that will take place when specific terms are found in the transcription of your call.
For more information about keyword spotting, see the full article here.